Friday, August 12, 2011

$5'll get ya 5


This post brought to you by the letter R for Rip-Off.

In the office complex where I work, they've been trying out gourmet food trucks. Now, I know this is all the rage and I know that there are probably a few out there that really wow the crowd but my experiences so far have been less than impressive. Today's adventure found me at a Tuscan Cuisine truck. Some of the items on the menu included Classic Cesar salad, assorted hot sandwiches and hot pastas with garlic bread. I walked up to place my order and noticed that the Classic Cesar was nothing more than a handful of romaine lettuce and a packet of Ken's Cesar dressing. The only thing classic about it was it looked like classic cafeteria food. I thought about getting a sandwich but they were charging $8 bucks and anyway, i wasn't that hungry. It's a good thing I wasn't wanting much to eat because what I ordered would've only been just enough for a 5 year old.

I decided on the Ravioli Fritti with a bell pepper sauce. I love a good pasta dish and I don't eat it very often these days what with having to watch my carb intake. Soooo, I wait for my order and after a few minutes the cook comes to the window with a tiny box. I'm puzzled by the size of it but I didn't give it much more than a passing thought. I waited a few seconds for him to hand me the garlic bread and when he didn't I asked him, "Um, do I get garlic bread with that?" He looks a bit perturbed but turns around and grabs a piece of bread out of what looks like an old cardboard box, throws it in a bag and hands it over. Oooookay. Thanks?

I head back to the office, grab some utensils because they didn't bother to provide any, and open up the box...I blink, take a count, blink again...5? Noooo, that can't be right. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5...

Wow. I just spent 5 dollars on 5 ravioli. Well, 6 bucks, really because I was stupid and gave the kid a 1 dollar tip. I guess the extra dollar covered the cold, stale piece of garlic bread. I think it's a safe bet to wager that these weren't fresh, handmade either. They tasted like something you'd buy in bulk from Costco.

The people who are on the website as the chefs/owners both have Italian names but let me tell you something, just because you're name is Italian does NOT mean that you can cook Italian. For shame, you do true Italians who cook true Tuscan dishes a great injustice.

Alla cazzo di cane

2 comments:

  1. At one dollar a ravioli they should have wrapped them individually and given you a *loaf* of garlic bread.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, right? And then unwrapped them and fed them to me one at a time.

    ReplyDelete